A curated list of delightful Node.js packages and resources.
- webtorrent – Streaming torrent client for Node.js and the browser.
- peerflix – Streaming torrent client.
- dat – Real-time replication and versioning for data sets.
- ipfs – Distributed file system that seeks to connect all computing devices with the same system of files.
- peerwiki – All of Wikipedia on BitTorrent.
- peercast – Stream a torrent video to Chromecast.
- BitcoinJS – Clean, readable, proven Bitcoin library.
- NodeOS – The first operating system powered by npm.
- PDFKit – PDF generation library.
- turf – Modular geospatial processing and analysis engine.
- pageres – Responsive website screenshots.
- trash – A safer alternative to
- yo – Run Yeoman generators.
- cpy – Copy files.
- torrent – Download torrents.
- David – Tells you when your package npm dependencies are out of date.
- vtop – More better top, with nice charts.
- tmpin – Adds stdin support to any CLI app that accepts file input.
- normit – Google Translate with speech synthesis in your terminal.
- is-up – Check whether a website is up or down.
- ipify – Get your public IP address.
- http-server – Simple, zero-config command-line HTTP server.
- bcat – Pipe command output to web browsers.
- slap – Sublime-like terminal-based text editor.
- jsinspect – Detect copy-pasted and structurally similar code.
- license-checker – Check licenses of your app’s dependencies.
- Lo-Dash – A utility library delivering consistency, customization, performance, & extras. A better and faster Underscore.js.
- Mout – Utility library with the biggest difference between other existing solutions is that you can choose to load only the modules/functions that you need, no extra overhead.
- immutable – Immutable data collections.
- underscore-contrib – The brass buckles on Underscore’s utility belt.
- Bacon.js – Functional reactive programming.
- Lazy.js – Utility library similar to Lo-Dash/Underscore but with lazy evaluation, which can translate to superior performance in many cases.
- request – Simplified HTTP request client.
- got / sent – A nicer interface to the built-in
- superagent – A small progressive HTTP request library.
- axios – Promise based HTTP client (works in the browser too).
- hyperquest – Streaming HTTP requests.
- spdy – Creates SPDY servers with the same API as the built-in
- Nock – A HTTP mocking and expectations library.
- download – Download and extract files effortlessly.
- wreck – HTTP Client Utilities.
Debugging / Profiling
- node-inspector – Debugger based on Blink Developer Tools.
- longjohn – Long stack traces with configurable call trace length.
- debug – Tiny debugging utility.
- njsTrace – Instrument and trace your code, see all function calls, arguments, return values, as well as the time spent in each function.
- vstream – Instrumentable streams mix-ins to inspect a pipeline of streams.
- stackman – Enhance an error stacktrace with code excerpts and other goodies.
- winston – A multi-transport async logging library.
- Bunyan – A simple and fast JSON logging library.
- intel – A comprehensive logging library (handlers, filters, formatters, console injection).
- Koa – A new web framework designed by the team behind Express, which aims to be a smaller, more expressive, and more robust foundation for web applications and APIs.
- Express – A minimal and flexible web application framework, providing a robust set of features for building single and multi-page, and hybrid web applications.
- Hapi – A rich framework for building applications and services.
- LoopBack – Powerful framework for creating REST APIs and easily connecting to backend data sources.
- SailsJS – An MVC web framework with a modern twist, supporting WebSockets, streams, and a data-driven API.
- Restify – A node framework built specifically to enable you to build correct REST web services.
- Derby – MVC framework, making it easy to write realtime, collaborative applications that run in both Node.js and browsers.
- Interfake – Rapid prototyping framework for making mock HTTP APIs, with a Node, command-line and HTTP interface.
- chalk – Terminal string styling done right.
- minimist – Parse command-line flags.
- get-stdin – Easier stdin.
- Inquirer.js – Interactive command-line prompt.
- update-notifier – Update notifications for your CLI app.
- sudo-block – Block users from running your app with root permissions.
- configstore – Easily load and persist config without having to think about where and how.
- insight – Helps you understand how your tool is being used by anonymously reporting usage metrics to Google Analytics.
- sparkly – Generate sparklines ▁▂▃▅▂▇
- blessed – A curses-like library.
- cli-table – Pretty unicode tables.
- drawille – Draw on the terminal with unicode braille characters.
- progress – Flexible ascii progress bar.
- log-symbols – Colored symbols for various log levels.
- columnify – Create text-based columns suitable for console output. Supports cell wrapping.
- googleauth – Create and load persistent Google authentication tokens for command-line apps.
- figures – Unicode symbols with Windows CMD fallbacks.
- cli-cursor – Toggle the CLI cursor.
- ascii-charts – ACII bar chart in the terminal.
- npm – A package manager for Node.js and the web.
- Bower – A package manager for the web.
- Component – A package manager for building better web apps.
- Duo – A next-generation package manager for the front-end.
- jspm.io – Frictionless browser package management with support for ES6, CommonJS, AMD modules.
- gulp.js – Streaming and fast build system that favors code over config.
- grunt – Task runner that can perform repetitive tasks like minification, compilation, unit testing, linting, etc.
- Broccoli – A fast, reliable asset pipeline, supporting constant-time rebuilds and compact build definitions.
- browserify – Browser-side require() the Node.js way.
- webpack – Packs CommonJS/AMD modules for the browser.
- Brunch – Front-end web app build tool with simple declarative config, fast incremental compilation, and an opinionated workflow.
- johnny-five – Firmata based Arduino Framework.
- serialport – Access serial ports for reading and writing.
- usb – USB library.
- cylon.js – Next generation robotics framework with support for 26 different platforms.
- handlebars.js – A superset of Mustache templates which adds powerful features like helpers and more advanced blocks.
- hogan.js – Twitter’s small, fast, phase-separated compiler for Mustache templates.
- Jade – High performance template engine heavily influenced by Haml.
- nunjucks – A powerful templating engine with inheritance, asynchronous control, and more (jinja2 inspired).
- Docco – A quick-and-dirty documentation generator which produces an HTML document that displays your comments intermingled with your code.
- JSDoc – API documentation generator similar to JavaDoc or PHPDoc.
- jsdox – JSDoc3 to Markdown documentation generator.
- apiDoc – Inline documentation for RESTful web APIs.
- del – Delete files/folders using globs.
- globby – Glob files with support for multiple patterns.
- cpy – Copy files.
- rimraf – Recursively delete files like
- mkdirp – Recursively create directories like
- graceful-fs – Drop-in replacement for the
fs module with various improvements.
- fs-extra – Extra methods for the
- fs-write-stream-atomic – Like
fs.createWriteStream(), but atomic.
- lnfs – Force create symlinks like
- chokidar – Filesystem watcher which stabilizes events from
fs.watchFile as well as using native
fsevents on OS X.
- gaze – A globbing watch module which uses custom native binaries to listen to filesystem events.
- each-async – Async concurrent iterator like forEach.
- async – Provides straight-forward, powerful functions for working with asynchronousity.
- after-all-results – Bundle results of async functions calls into one callback with all the results.
- co – The ultimate generator based flow-control goodness.
- suspend – Generator-based control flow that plays nice with callbacks, promises, and thunks.
- native-promise-only – A polyfill for native ES6 Promises.
- Bluebird – A fully featured promise library with focus on innovative features and performance.
- Q – A tool for making and composing asynchronous promises.
- zone – Provides a way to group and track resources and errors across asynchronous operations.
- through2 – Tiny wrapper around streams2 Transform to avoid explicit subclassing noise.
- concat-stream – Concatenates a stream into strings or binary data.
- simple-bufferstream – Turn a Buffer into a ReadableStream.
- co-stream – co generator stream.
- byline – Super-simple line-by-line Stream reader.
- first-chunk-stream – Transform the first chunk in a stream.
- duplexify – Turn a writeable and readable stream into a single streams2 duplex stream.
- pumpify – Combine an array of streams into a single duplex stream.
- from2 – Convenience wrapper for ReadableStream, inspired by
- from2-array – Create a
from2 stream based on an array of source values.
- peek-stream – Transform stream that lets you peek the first line before deciding how to parse it.
- binary-split – A fast newline (or any delimiter) splitter stream.
- multistream – Combine multiple streams into a single stream.
- graphicsmagick-stream – Fast conversion/scaling of images using a pool of long lived graphicsmagick processes.
- readable-stream – Mirror of Streams2 and Streams3 implementations in core.
- s3-upload-stream – Upload a stream to an Amazon S3 bucket using multipart upload.
- through2-concurrent – Transform object streams concurrently.
- Socket.io – Enables real-time bidirectional event-based communication.
- SockJS – Low latency, full duplex, cross-domain channel browser-server, with WebSockets or without.
- SocketCluster – Scalable HTTP + WebSocket engine which can run on multiple CPU cores.
- Primus – An abstraction layer for real-time frameworks to prevent module lock-in.
- Straw – Real-time dataflow framework.
- sharp – The fastest module for resizing JPEG, PNG, WebP and TIFF images.
- image-type – Detect the image type of a Buffer/Uint8Array.
- gm – GraphicsMagick and ImageMagick wrapper.
- Underscore.string – Collection of string manipulation utilities.
- he – A robust HTML entity encoder/decoder.
- iconv-lite – Convert character encodings.
- escape-string-regexp – Escape RegExp special characters.
- indent-string – Indent each line in a string.
- strip-indent – Strip leading whitespace from every line in a string.
- detect-indent – Detect the indentation of code.
- i18n-node – Simple translation module with dynamic JSON storage.
- string-length – Get the real length of a string – by correctly counting astral symbols and ignoring ansi escape codes.
- speakingurl – Generate a slug from a string with transliteration.
- ndarray – Multidimensional arrays.
- mathjs – An extensive math library.
- css – CSS parser / stringifier.
- strip-json-comments – Strip comments from JSON.
- marked – A markdown parser and compiler built for speed.
- remarkable – A very fast markdown parser with 100% CommonMark support, extensions and syntax plugins.
- js-yaml – Very fast YAML parser.
- URI.js – URL mutation.
- JSONStream – Streaming JSON.parse and stringify.
- csv-parser – Streaming CSV parser that aims to be faster than everyone else.
- excel-stream – Streaming Excel spreadsheet to JSON parser.
- parse5 – Fast full-featured spec compliant HTML parser.
- htmlparser2 – Forgiving HTML/XML parser.
- PostCSS – Framework for CSS postprocessors, to modify CSS.
- PEG.js – Simple parser generator that produces fast parsers with excellent error reporting.
- pretty-bytes – Convert bytes to a human readable string:
- pretty-ms – Convert milliseconds to a human readable string:
15d 11h 23m 20s.
- ms – Tiny millisecond conversion utility.
- pretty-error – Errors with less clutter.
- humanize – Data formatter for human readability.
- node-read – Extract readable content from any page.
- Archiver – Streaming interface for archive generation, supporting ZIP and TAR.
- decompress-zip – Unzip.
- tar-stream – Streaming tar parser and generator. Also see tar-fs.
- decompress – A pluggable decompression module with support for
zip files out of the box.
- get-port – Get an available port.
- ipify – Get your public IP address.
Static site generators
- Metalsmith – An extremely simple, pluggable static site generator.
- Wintersmith – Flexible, minimalistic, multi-platform static site generator.
- Assemble – Static site generator for Node.js, Grunt.js, and Yeoman.
Content management systems
- KeystoneJS – CMS and web application platform built on Express and MongoDB.
- Calipso – A simple content management system, built along similar themes to Drupal and WordPress, that is designed to be fast, flexible and simple.
- Apostrophe2 – A content management system with an emphasis on intuitive front end content editing and administration built on Express and MongoDB.
- nodeBB – A better forum platform for the modern web.
- ghost – Simple, powerful publishing platform that allows you to share your story with the world.
- Hexo – Fast, simple and powerful blogging framework.
- ODM / ORM
- Bookshelf – ORM for PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite3 in the style of Backbone.js.
- JugglingDB – Multi-database ORM with a common API. Supports Redis, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, MySQL, SQLite, Neo4j, memory, and more.
- Mongoose – Elegant MongoDB object modeling.
- Sequelize – Multi-dialect ORM. Supports PostgreSQL, SQLite, MySQL.
- Waterline – Datastore-agnostic tool that dramatically simplifies interaction with one or more databases.
- Iridium – A high performance MongoDB ORM with support for promises, distributed caching, preprocessing, validation and plugins.
- OpenRecord – ORM for PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite3 and RESTful datastores. Similar to ActiveRecord.
- Query builder
- Knex – A query builder for PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQLite3, designed to be flexible, portable, and fun to use.
- tape – TAP-producing test harness.
- Mocha – A feature-rich test framework making asynchronous testing simple and fun.
- Mochify – TDD with Browserify, Mocha, PhantomJS and WebDriver.
- loadtest – Run load tests for your web application, with an API for automation.
- istanbul – A code coverage tool that computes statement, line, function and branch coverage with module loader hooks to transparently add coverage when running tests.
- Sinon.JS – Test spies, stubs and mocks.
- Karma – Executes code in multiple real browsers.
- Nightmare – High-level PhantomJS wrapper that lets you automate browser tasks.
- matcha – A caffeine driven, simplistic approach to benchmarking.
- Passport – Simple, unobtrusive authentication.
- everyauth – Authentication and authorization (password, facebook, & more) for your Connect and Express apps.
- passwordless – Token-based authentication middleware for Express allowing authentication without passwords.
- Lockit – Full featured authentication solution for Express. Supports a variety of databases, predefined routes, email and two-factor authentication.
- n – Node.js version management.
- nave – Virtual Environments for Node.js.
- nodeenv – A Node.js virtual environment compatible to Python’s virtualenv.
- nvm for Windows – Version management for Windows.
Natural language processing
- natural – A general natural language facility.
- retext – An extensible natural language system.
- franc – Detect the language of text.
- leven – Measure the difference between two strings using the Levenshtein distance algorithm.
- node-windows – Run scripts as a native Windows service and log to the Event viewer.
- node-mac – Run scripts as a native Mac daemon and log to the console app.
- node-linux – Run scripts as native system service and log to syslog.
- forever – A simple CLI tool for ensuring that a given script runs continuously (i.e. forever).
- supervisor – Restart scripts when they crash or restart when a
*.js file changes.
- PM2 – Advanced Process Manager.
- Phusion Passenger – Friendly process manager that integrates directly into Nginx.
- opn – Opens stuff like websites, files, executables.
- semver – semver parser.
- cheerio – Fast, flexible, and lean implementation of core jQuery designed specifically for the server.
- require-uncached – Require a module bypassing the cache.
- Faker.js – Generate massive amounts of fake data.
- Bottleneck – A powerful rate limiter that makes throttling easy.
- stringify-object – Stringify an object/array like JSON.stringify just without all the double-quotes.
- strip-bom – Strip UTF-8 byte order mark (BOM) from a string/buffer/stream.
- shelljs – Portable Unix shell commands.
- nan – A header file filled with macro and utility goodness for making add-on development for across Node.js versions easier.
- ssh2 – An SSH2 client module.
- lazy-req – Require modules lazily.
- webworker-threads – Lightweight Web Worker API implementation with native threads.
- node-pre-gyp – Makes it easy to publish and install Node.js C++ addons from binaries.
- opencv – Bindings for OpenCV. The defacto computer vision library.
- common-errors – Common error classes and utility functions.
- atom-shell – Cross-platform desktop application shell.
- agenda – Lightweight job scheduling on MongoDB.
- node-modules.com – An alternative npm search engine with a more intelligent and personal results ranking.
- node weekly – Weekly e-mail round-up of Node.js news and articles.
- Node.js blog
- HowToNode – Teaching how to do various tasks in Node.js as well as teach fundamental concepts that are needed to write effective code.
- GitHub Linker – Chrome extension that linkifies dependencies in package.json on GitHub.